Friday, June 12, 2009

Nationwide outdoors events encourage people to head into nature

June 13 is National Get Outdoors Day, a push by the U.S. Forest Service and other organizations to get people to explore public lands. There are only three locations in Florida holding events -- Florida's three national forests (Apalachicola, Osceola and Ocala). It's a good idea to encourage people to visit the forests -- I wonder if they will. It is summer, after all, and hurricane season here.

That might or might not stop people from participating in the Great American Backyard Campout on June 27. This is an annual event by the National Wildlife Federation to help foster a love of nature in kids. I don't know about you, but I'm not keen on camping here in the summer -- I prefer to camp in winter. And yes, I tent camp -- no air-conditioned camper or RV for me.

Have you or do you camp in Florida in the summer?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home